Sunday, September 9, 2012

Weekend Festivities

Hi ALL!

Sorry I did not get to blog yesterday, but don't worry, you didn't miss much! I went to class, got lunch, came home, did a workout and sweat like crazy, and then got ready for the next day because we were taking a trip to the best place ever, CINQUE TERRE! (google it)

So today, Adrienne my roommate and I got up at 6:15 to get on a 7:25 train to Monterosso! We were sooo tired, and slept a little on the train, which was about 3 and a half hours because it made like 50 million stops in between. We finally arrived at Monterosso, got our cinque terre card, and started exploring. We were so so so hungry that we had to stop at this focaccia place, which was out of this world!


This is the little store, but even better, this is what i ate:

This is formaggio con pomodoro (cheese and tomato), and it was out of this world. my stomach is even growling now just thinking about it!!

We then explored the lovely town of Monterosso, take a look!

The water is so amazingly blue!!

We then got on the train to go to the next land, aka Vernazza!

This store has history with me because when I went here on a trip senior year, I got the most beautiful ring that I always wear. So I went in today and explained to the girl working there that I got my ring that I was wearing there  years ago, and she looked and she remembered the ring and all!

Anyway here are more pictures!





We then got back on the train to go onto Corniglia!


This is all that Corniglia really had to offer, 50 flights of stairs for exercise....okay well we don't actually know what was at the top of there, but we sure as hell knew we weren't climbing up those stairs to find out...next time when we are prepared and training for our marathon we can find out the mystery at the top of the hill!



We quickly got back on the train since the trail from here to Manarola was closed due to a huge flood they had in October! :( Once we got to Manarola, we looked around and didn't see a town, so we just continued our hike on the "love trail". People put locks on the fences when they just got married, are in love, or just because they want to. But not only is it locks, it is now signatures and graffiti pictures and vows. It was the cutest thing!




Here are some more views that we had from our hike around the side of the mountain:






Everything here is just picture perfect!!! We then got to the last land Riomaggiore, and found the marina to swim in the Mediterranean sea!




The water was so beautiful! So clear and so salty, ewww, yea the water was very salty and it dried out my skin, but it was so worth it! I even did some cliff jumping with the help of some locals, the girls were about 12 years old and they seemed to have no fear! One of them told me "Don't worry, be happy" because she didn't know much English, but I guess she knew that one!
After we soaked in the sun and beautiful scenery, we went to walk around the town, we got some fresh fruit, and ate some dinner and hung out before our train left for home!



A side street from the town! It was so tiny and Italian-like!


The view from the top, looking out.

Another view from the top of some stairs that lead to a restaurant!

Straight ahead was where we were swimming and jumping from the rocks.

This was my first lasagna in Italy! It was delicious and very different from what I was expecting, but again nonetheless, all the food here surprises me and i still LOVE it!

We then got on our train and made a new friend. He was super nice, but didn't speak much English, so pretty much the whole ride we were playing charades to try and understand what he was trying to tell us! It was fun and interesting to see how hard it is for people to speak English. I told him that is how we feel trying to speak Italian! I also saw a really cute baby who wouldn't stop looking and laughing at me when I played peek-a-boo with him! He was adorable!

Anyway, after a long day and train ride home, I got home and tried to blog but my eyes wouldn't stay open and that is why I am blogging now. I passed out and slept very well!

The whole trip to Cinque Terre was a great way to start my traveling journeys here in Italy. I honestly think that it is one of the greatest and most beautiful places on Earth, and if anyone has the time and money to travel there, that is a MUST SEE! I know I will end up back there sometime in my future because I love it so much! Alright enough about me, I am going to grocery shop and do laundry. Please email me or Facebook message me and let me know how you all are doing! I miss you all each and every day and wish you were here with me to travel around this beautiful country! 

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction."

Ciao,
<3 Lauren











No comments:

Post a Comment